Adapted from Rasa Malaysia
(We doubled the Portion)
- 1 1/2 pounds Beef Short Ribs, Cubed (I kept the bones as well)
- 6 slices of beef ribs, (lengthways with the bone), cut into 3 pieces each
- 10 tbsp cooking oil (or just a lot)
- 4 cinnamon stick (2 inch long)
- 6 star anise
- 6-8 green cardamon Pods
- 2 lemongrass, pounded
- 2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cup water
- 4 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 12 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 12 tbsp dessicated coconut, toasted
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- Thai Fish sauce/Chinese Fish Sauce/ Red Fish Boat
- 10 shallots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 inch galangal
- 2 inch ginger
- 6 dried chilli, soaked in warm water
- 3 small green chillis
- 10 cloves garlic
- 6 lemongrass, white part only
How to Make:
- Add all the ingredients for the spice paste into the food processor. Blitz until finely chopped, adding a little water to help the spices blend and mix.
- Heat a large wok with oil. Add in the spice paste, cardamon pods, star anise, cinnamon sticks and stir fry until aromatic.
- Add in the beef and the lemongrass for 1 minute.
- Next pour in the coconut milk, water and tamarind.
- Allow to simmer on medium heat until the meat is almost cooked. (5 minutes)
- Add in the dessicated coconut, sugar and kaffir lime leaves. Cover and allow to cook for 1 1/2 hours, until most of the liquid has evaporated/reduced.
- Season with fish sauce. Serve immediately.
Zoe & Mia