Summer is finally here. Fresh Strawberries, blueberries, cherries are all signs of the beginning of summer! I was lucky enough to get some on sale to serve with this delicious lemon ricotta pound cake. Just the thought of a piece of light, fluffy cake with cream and berries is enough to make me drool all over my computer.
Ricotta is the essential ingredient that allows for the amazing fluffy texture of this cake. With the addition of 2 1/2 cups of cake flour (not regular AP flour), and 2 1/2 tsp baking powder assured me that I would get a delicious fluffy cake that I so loved. I knew this recipe was perfect. I mean what could be better than making an italian dessert from an italian recipe? I just love Giada and her recipes. She makes italian food seem so appealing and simple. That is the essence of italian cooking – simplicity and freshness. Sometimes I wish I was born italian…
Adapted from twopeasandtheirpod
Ingredients – Serves 10-12
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar (originally 1 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 170g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp salt (originally 1 tsp)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 lemons, zested
- 284ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Blueberries, strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Beat ricotta, sugar, butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add in vanilla and lemon.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder together.
- Fold in dry ingredients with wet batter.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes (ours took an hour).
- Beat cream, sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks. Set aside. Serve cake warm with cream and berries.