Adapted from DavidLebovitz
Ingredients -Makes 2 loaves (8″ x 4) or 1 pan (8″ square pan)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water/butter
- few drops of lemon juice
- 3-4 bananas, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tsp (30g) unsalted butter, melted (slightly cooled)
- 150g sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt (fat-free, regular, sour cream, buttermilk)
- 1 cup banana puree (3 ripe bananas)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make:
- Topping: heat sugar and water. Simmer for about 45 seconds.
- Pour immediately into a 8″ square tin or (in our case) 2 loaf pans (4″ x 8″). Let it cool to room temperature.
- Arrange banana slices on top (packed). Add few drops of lemon juice.
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix salt, flour, cinnamon, soda, powder together.
- In another bowl, beat together eggs, vanilla, sugar, puree, yoghurt and melted butter.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and the pour in the wet ingredients. Stir together gently until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the cake batter on top the banana topping.
- Bake for 40 minutes (square tin) or 30 minutes (loaf pan) until toothpick comes clean.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes, before running knife around the edges and inverting the cake.
- Serve warm ideally, with ice-cream or whipped cream.
Note: It is not necessary to butter or grease the cake tin, because the cake will come out easily.