Chocolate Cake Adapted from Primrose Bakery
Nutella Frosting Adapted from 52 Kitchen Adventures
Ingredients -Makes 16 regular or 48 mini cupcakes
- 115g semisweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate)
- 85g unsalted butter
- 175g brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 185g plain flour, sifted
- 3/4tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- pinch of salt
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1 tbsp milk
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted (I used : 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate and 4 tbsp icing sugar melted and mixed into a paste)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 190g icing sugar or less (if using the unsweetened baking chocolate above use 200g icing sugar)
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Melt chocolate over double broiler or in microwave. Leave to cool.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes or till smooth.
- In another bowl, separately beat the egg yolks for several minutes. Add egg yolks to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Next add in the melted chocolate and beat.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Measure out the milk and add in the vanilla extract.
- Add in 1/3 of the flour into chocolate mixture and beat well. Next, pour in 1/3 of the milk and beat. Repeat this till all the flour, milk has added.
- Next beat the egg whites till soft peaks form and fold this into the batter.
- Fill the tray with cupcake cases and fill till 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (or 15 minutes for smaller cupcakes).
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make frosting, by beating together butter and sugar.
- Add in the vanilla, chocolate till smooth. Finally add in the nutella and beat well.
- Pipe the frosting over the cooled cupcakes. Keep in a cool area.