Adapted from the back of the Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Note: (We doubled the recipe and made 2 8″ cake layers and made only 1 serving of the frosting, since we didn’t want the frosting to overpower the cake flavour, especially if you’re not too keen on sweet frosting)
- 1 3/4 cup AP flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup hershey’s cocoa (packed)
- 3 medium eggs, at room temp.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (original was 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups icing sugar (original 3 cups)
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease two 9-inch diameter pans. (we used 8-inch pans).
- Stir sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and flour together.
- Beat in eggs, milk, oil, vanilla.
- Stir in boiling water. (batter should be liquid – very thin).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until center comes clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- For the frosting, melt butter.
- Stir in the cocoa. Alternatively beat in sugar and milk.
- Stir in vanilla. (add more milk for a thinner consistency).
- Regular, 1-layer cake bake for 35-40 minutes. .
- 12 cup bundt cake bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Cupcakes bake for 22-25 minutes.