- 1 cup of Rice (congee rice) – but you can use normal rice but it will be less soft. The best option is barley rice.
- 6 cups of water
- Few Slices of ginger
How to Make:
- Put everything in a pot.
- Turn on the heat and let it cook for 30 mins. Stir frequently after it has come to a boil.
- Depending on how thick you want the congee to be you can stop cooking once the rice is soft. The longer you cook it the thicker it will be.
String Bean and Pork Stirfry
- 1 bundle of string beans (deep green colour), sliced into 1cm pieces
- 125g minced pork (more or less depending on personal preference)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce for seafood (OR use Gluten Free Soy sauce)
How to Make:
- Heat a small pan with oil. Add in garlic and fry.
- Add in the minced pork. Cook until the pork is browned and has lost the raw pink colour.
- Add in the string beans and stir. Next put in the water and cover.
- Add in the sauce once you see the mixture boiling (2-3 minutes). Cover and cook for an extra minute.
- Taste and season again.
Cashew Nuts (toasted then eat when it has cooled down so that it will become crunchy)
Note: You can serve congee with many variety of dishes such as stir fry vegetables, pork floss, “You Zha Gui” (deep fried pieces of dough) – which is very popular and traditional.