Tomorrow is Martin Luther King day so that means a 3 day weekend holiday. What a treat! First 2 weeks back at school has been challenging to some degree and any break is welcomed for sure. Zoe and I have plans to celebrate a friend’s birthday together. She also served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! It is pretty neat to see just how much better I am with talking and connecting to people after my mission. Having to teach and share the gospel everyday to absolute strangers on the streets of New York was so hard for a shy person like me, but I’ve learned to love this one-to-one interaction. I truly believe we are all put in specific places to meet specific people for specific reasons. On my mission I have met some of the most amazing people in my life and really as I reflect on it, its been that way my whole life. Friends, Family, Acquaintances mean a lot of me. I have to say I’ve been so blessed throughout my life because of all the positive influence I’ve had.
So in honor of this special friend we made a rather unconventional cake/dessert – a chocolate pecan pie.
I love nuts. I love love love nuts. Anything with that and chocolate is a match made in heaven. She expressed her desire for a chocolate dessert so we settled on this delicious looking chocolate pecan pie that is dairy free, refined sugar free, gluten free and paleo. All of that and it tastes so good.
Look at how gorgeous those pecans are!
It has all the flavors of a German chocolate cake in a pie pan. The coconut oil and coconut sugar really does wonders. If you’ve never tried it before, this pie is the perfect excuse to try and I promise you there will be no regrets!
Serves: 1 8 inch pie dish (we used a smaller dish, the recipe calls for 9 inch pie dish so we had leftover filling that we poured into a separate muffin tray. You can bake this for 20 minutes)
Adapted from: Elanaspantry
Ingredients – 1 9″ inch Pie
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cup dairy free, vegan chocolate chips (we used semi-sweet)
- 2 cups whole pecans (unsalted)
How to Make:
Paleo Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place flour and salt in a food processor and pulse briefly.
- Add in egg, maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Press dough into a pie dish.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes.
Note: When we first pulled it out the crust had risen slightly, but do not panic! as you let it cool it will sink down again!
- Place the eggs, coconut oil and and coconut sugar in a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Using a spatula, stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Pour mixture onto the baked crust. (Since our pan was smaller we didn’t use all of the filling, instead we used the leftover filling to make 4 small mini crustless, chocolate pecan pies in a muffin tin – great for taste testing!).
- Bake at 350F for 35 mins or until set and the crust is slightly brown .