Tender, succulent meat? OH YES.
If you have NEVER heard of this before, let me introduce to something fantastic and wonderful. You, my friend, are in luck today! This will blow your mind!
I personally am a huge fan of braised, soft, tender meat falling off of the bone. Yes I love my veggies, I love eating salads, I love raw foods, I even love my sugar and chocolate, but let me tell you..I am a girl who will not say no to a piece of deliciously-braised-tender-falling off the bone-piece of meat. The flavor is really wonderful because the sweet-salty braising liquid just seeps into the carrots, radish, beef, and they take on those flavors ever so well. The carrots are soft and delicately sweetened, the radish, originally rather bland, absorbs all those flavors and even takes on a nice dark color. I would totally recommend to those vegetarians out there to just simply braise your mushrooms/carrots/radish/eggplant in this delicious, yet simple liquid and let it simmer and cook away. Anything you can throw in there really! This is a great way to enjoy your vegetables.
But the key to making this delicious is (for you meat-lovers out there) is using boned in meat. Short ribs are thinner than your usually “ribs”and are just perfect for braising. They are not too thick, but just perfect to take on all those marinating flavors!
Enjoy this along side rice/quinoa/korean pickled side dishes/lettuce wraps…get creative!
Adapted from Maangchi
Ingredients – Serves 2-3
- 2 lbs Korean Short Ribs
- 1/4 onion
- 2 slices of ginger
- 5-6 shiitake mushrooms (optional), rehydrated in water for 30 minutes and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 carrots, chopped into 4-5cm cubes OR handful of Baby Carrots (for convenience)
- 1/4 large radish, chopped into 4-5cm cubes (can substitute with potatoes)
- 2 cups water
- 4 tbsp GF soy sauce
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- Green onions, sesame seeds (garnish)
How to Make:
- Soak short ribs in water for 30 minutes, changing water at least 3-4 times.
- Boil water in a large pot. Put in short ribs and boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the ribs and wash with cold water to remove any unnecessary fat.
- Clean the pot, and place ribs back in. Pour over the braising liquid.
- Allow the ribs to boil over medium for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prep your vegetables – slice your radish and mushrooms.
- Open the lid and add in your vegetables. Allow the stew to simmer over low heat for 1 hour. (make sure you stir from time to time and pour liquid over meat/baste the meat)
- Open the lid and check if the meat is done. You should be able to easily poke a chopstick through.
- Finish off by adding honey and black pepper. Mix well till liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle sesame seeds and spring onions for garnish.